Saturday, February 13, 2010

23.5)

On a typical Saturday night, when I have money for gas, I go for a drive through much of Scranton and the surrounding areas to clear my head and just kinda of release in a different way than I have all week. On this particular journey I ended up at a Dunkin' Donuts with a bagel and a cup of coffee while reading Wagner's theory to conducting. I was struck by the ridiculous detail he gives to the tempo of Beethoven Symphony's, particularly his 9th. It made me wonder how much of this mattered, and then my entire theory of the importance of music was torn down in my mind. The importance of music as a cultural marker and aesthetic idea was gone. I was troubled by this (yes increasingly so) until I came on YouTube and looked at the featured and listened.

I believe that the music that has been written and will be written is for the purpose of discovery. Discovery of that child-like nature: Real Discovery. Not this immature idea of discovering love, knowledge, or culture we seem to possess today. Real Discovery is an epiphany. When we listen to music we hear the resolution to what is right, we hear the unity of a human spirit, we hear...music. When we hear what is true or realize something great we feel scales being lifted from our minds. This same feeling takes hold of us when we hear or participate in music.

I believe that the music that has been written and will be written is for the purpose of discovery. Every man is entitled to an epiphany.

Futhon

1 comment:

  1. You sound like Stephen Dedalus. Read Joyce's Portrait of an Artist as a Young Man. Joyce loved epiphanies...

    ReplyDelete