Sunday, May 9, 2010

49)

I arrived at home, where I will be spending the next 4 months, and immediately began thinking about what I should be working on. At first I rearranged my room, as I always do when I return home, and positioned my working space in front of the only window in my room. I knew by the end of the summer it would feel like I was in a tree house, but right now it still feels like I am looking out on a new world that is unsure of itself: cold, yet green with life; dark, but light enough to illuminate everything.

I sit looking out on this world that I know will change. I am sure without a doubt.

But back to what I want to write this summer. Last summer I attempted to write a standard string quartet. I was a little more aimless last summer, so this time I knew I needed something to keep me grounded. The idea of a programmatic piece came to mind. I spent a couple hours scouring images in my room and on the internet, but to no avail. As I was in the middle of my scouring the power went out. So I listened/studied the Rite of Spring by candlelight: a powerful example of supreme orchestration. I read then went to bed at 9.15. I woke three times. Once to someone saying goodnight. Once because I was thirsty. The last time I woke up I do not remember why, but I remember what I saw. I looked out my window and saw this world covered in mist. I knew then where the program to my music would come from.

I woke up with a plan, a purpose. I would write a complete string quartet this summer based on my ideas of set theory, 12 tone theory, and division. I would also begin work on more piano sonatinas to keep my piano skills up.

I already have 4 pages of notes. More on this subject to come.

Fuhton

No comments:

Post a Comment